Read Me a Story
“Read Me a Story” is a program designed to enhance the connection between a parent in prison and their child/children. The parent can choose a book (book list available) provided by Speak Up for Hope, and read it to their child on videotape. They have the opportunity to talk to their child… sharing a good memory, telling the child how proud they are of them, saying a prayer for the child, singing to the child, thanking the caregivers, and apologizing for not being with them during this time.
You have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of families torn apart by incarceration.
You can get involved in a number of ways:
We have a list of books that work well for this program, and have provided a link to an online source. If you would like to donate in this way, please have the book sent to:
- Speak Up for Hope
P.O. Box 6262
Lakeland FL 33807-6262
2. Make a donation.
- We have some equipment needs, and an ongoing need for DVD-rws, cases, and money for shipping.
- Provide money for snacks for the inmates who are being taped. Make this a special time for them.
- Pray for hearts to be open as we contact prisons. We need a chaplain who supports this, as well as a warden who will approve it.
- Pray for the incarcerated parent as they reach out to their child.
- Pray for the children who receive this gift from their parent.